Most of the Business courses at Central Penn, as well as some courses in other areas, use an online learning program from McGraw-Hill called Connect (also known as LearnSmart). In order to use this program, follow the steps below:
NOTE: Once redeemed, Connect codes are NOT returnable/refundable.
If you are not positive you will stay in a course which requires a Connect access code, you can sign up for a 2-week free trial access. You can sign up for the trial access on the page that appears when you click on a Connect/LearnSmart assignment in Blackboard. If you choose to continue in the course, you will need to purchase access and upgrade your trial to a full account before the end of the 2-week period.
Please contact the Textbook Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions about this.
These instructions are for retrieving your access code when viewing your ebook in a browser (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Safari), either on a computer or on a device. If you are viewing your ebook with the VitalSource Bookshelf app, please see the Accessing the Connect Code in your Ebook: App Version box (at the bottom of this page).
1. If you have not already done so, you will need to access/open the ebook you purchased. (Please see the "Using Ebooks" tab on this guide for how to access ebooks through Blackboard or the MBS website.)
2. For most students, when the ebook first launches, you will see a box pop up in the upper-right corner of the screen that says, "This item contains an access code. Click here to reveal." If you do NOT see the box pop up, skip to step 7 below.
3. Next, the background will be grayed-out and another box will pop up in the center of the screen. Click "Continue" in the bottom right of the box.
4. The background will still look grayed-out, and another smaller box will appear in the center of the screen, warning you that the code cannot be refunded once it is revealed. Click on "Reveal Access Code."
5. Now a box in the middle of the screen will show you the 20-digit alphanumeric access code. Click on the "Copy" button to copy the code to your computer Clipboard. You can also write the code down. (the code has been blurred out in the image below)
6. Input the Code on the Connect registration page, which is accessed through Blackboard. This process is detailed in the video in the next section of this page.
7. If you did not see the box pop up about revealing your access code, you can still get to your access code by following these instructions:
Once you have accessed the ebook, click on the Library icon (it looks like a house) at the top left of the screen.
8. You'll be re-directed to the Bookshelf page, where you need to click on the Account icon in the upper-right corner.
It will turn orange, and then you'll see the list of options as shown below. Click on "Resources."
9. Now you should see the Resources screen. Click on "Access Codes."
10. Now you should see the book(s) you have purchased. Click on the "Reveal Code" box to show the Connect code.
11. Input the Code (all digits--copying and pasting is the easiest) on the Connect registration page, which is accessed through Blackboard. This process is detailed in the video in the next section of this page.
The following video demonstrates how to register for Connect in your course in Blackboard, showing you where and when to input the Connect code, after accessing Connect/LearnSmart assignments in your Blackboard course for the first time.
IMPORTANT: You MUST use your Central Penn email address when registering for your course.
These instructions are for accessing your code when viewing your ebook in the VitalSource Bookshelf app (iOS or Android). If you are viewing your ebook in a browser (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Safari), please see the instructions in the box above.
1. After launching the app and signing in, you should see something like this. Click on the Menu icon (three horizontal lines) in the top left of the screen:
2. Once the Menu has opened, click on "My Account."
3. Next, in the "Account Center Home" screen, click on the Menu icon (three horizontal lines), top left of the screen.
4. When this Menu appears, click on "Resources."
5. On the "Resources" screen, click on "Access Codes."
6. Now you should see the book(s) you have purchased. Click on "Reveal Code" to show the Connect code.